Kiddo78

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Good ol' Winona State University

I graduated from college five years ago today. It's gone by really fast.

I talk a lot about college on here, I know -- but, I had so much fun and loved college so much that it's hard not to! Some of us are going back for a weekend next month -- to our old bar stomping grounds - Brothers, Bullseye & Gabby's. Fun, fun.

Winona State is in southeast corner of Minnesota, very near to both Wisconsin and Iowa. It was the first teacher's college West of the Mississippi and is almost 150 years old. The town, Winona, is about 30,000 and is in the bluff country of the Mississippi River Valley -- a very nice location. Lots of kids go to Winona State because of the nice campus and scenic area. With about 8,000 students, it's a good school for someone who wants a smaller, mid-sized university. The biggest major is education, other big ones are Business, Mass Communication (my major), Nursing, Engineering, Biology...they are the Warriors and have good football (Division II), but we never went to any games when I was a student. I went to half the homecoming game my senior year, then we went bar-hopping and party-going.

Anyway - I just had a great time there and had so many friends. Loved it. Even though I was one of the only "OUT" guys on campus when I graduated, it wasn't a big deal - friends were friends.

I wound up working in the fundraising office from 2002-2004, but living there as a working adult just wasn't the same as being a carefree student (carefree --- I studied a lot and worked 30+ hours per week, but still -- it beats my current life), even though several of my friends still lived there.

Anyway -- *Raising beer* Here's to Winona State....cheers!!


Looking at Winona State campus from the top of a bluff


WSU Warriors


Another campus/Winona view from the bluffs...


Main campus


Krueger Library - opened my senior year


The main hall - Somsen - I worked in there on 2nd floor


Phelps Hall, where Mass Communication (and Psychology) are located

I was going to post some pictures of myself from college, but my stupid scanner isn't working - surprise, surprise -- maybe later.

4 Comments:

  • I grew up in the same town I went to college in, Manhattan, KS, home of the Kansas State Wildcats. I agree that it is totally different living in the town as a non college student. It never really felt like I was going to college in my hometown. I love that place.

    Your school looks purdy!

    By Blogger The Unprocessed Project, at 9:20 PM  

  • What a beautiful campus. I have fond memories of college, too. I went to Albion College, a private liberal arts college located in the south-center of Michigan. I think I chose the school based on the beauty of the campus. Very strategic!

    By Blogger Bob, at 6:34 AM  

  • That campus looks wonderful! I went to Aquinas College in Grand Rapids...also a beaut of a campus. I don't know that I would go there now...it has gone pretty religious since my days...but it was a blast when I was there.

    By Blogger walktrotcanter, at 7:40 AM  

  • What lovely pictures. My best times were in college too.

    By Blogger ab, at 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home