Kiddo78

Monday, May 16, 2005

Drop Dead Gorgeous

Here's a movie you should watch - "Drop Dead Gorgeous" with Kirstie Alley, Ellen Barkin, Kirsten Dunst, Allison Janney (steals the show as Loretta) and Denise Richards. It's one of those dark humor type movies that makes fun of small town beauty pageants. This one happens to take place in Mont Rose, Minnesota, which is not even a suburb of the "Sin Cities," as Gladys (Kirstie Alley) mentions.

They do the Minnesota accents pretty well, too. I do have to note that it's mostly people in central and northern Minnesota who have that thick accent. I'm sure the rest of we natives have it to some extent, but I really hear people talking like that when I'm north of Minneapolis/St. Paul....dont-cha know.

Rent this movie. At the end, when they're in Minneapolis, pay attention to the bartender. I went to college with him. Ironically enough, he was the bartender at our stomping grounds in Winona, Bullseye. We called him Otter back then - I can't remember his real name...Brad, I think. He's really cute. He's a bartender at The Newsroom in downtown Minneapolis now. I talked to him there briefly once. He remembered me b/c my friends and I went to Bullseye so much in college. Nice.

5 Comments:

  • I haven't thought about that movie in a while. I saw it once on HBO and I was glued to the TV. It'S hilarious.

    By Blogger ab, at 5:58 PM  

  • That movie is so hilarious. I own it. Here is a good line: "Well yeah Tammy liked to drive her dad's thresher! She said the heavy vibrations helped clear her mind. But I know Tammy only smoked AFTER a good drive."

    By Blogger jd, at 8:24 PM  

  • Ha!! I forgot about farmin' Tammy! I really need to buy that movie. I went to high school with some farm girls. They certainly weren't beauty pageant material.

    By Blogger Kiddo78, at 8:54 PM  

  • Its nice to be remembered, even if its because you were a regular at the bar. Well, OK, so I'd prefer to be remembered for something better, but I usually take what I can get.

    By Blogger hot babe, at 10:25 AM  

  • The only thing I liked about that movie was when what's-her-name sang to the big fake stuffed jesus for her talent. That alone made it worth watching.

    By Blogger dan, at 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home