Kiddo78

Friday, April 01, 2005

Thank you, sir -- for everything tonight!

I finally went grocery shopping last night. It had been more than a month and my poor fridgie was feeling a little lonely and empty. So, I finally got my ass off a bar stool and went to Cub Foods. I forgot to buy my Boca Burgers and a pound of already-browned hamburger (for spaghetti). I hate browning hamburger - even more dreadful than going grocery shopping. Anyway, I guess I'll have to do without Boca burgers and spaghetti this month b/c I'm not going back to the horrid store just for that.

Bill called me and asked if I felt like getting out of the house for a while. Of course I did. So we went to the 19 Bar. I completely forgot that last night was the first night of Minneapolis being smoke-free. I find it to be completely stupid. I'm so sick of the do-gooders manipulating my life -- I bet they never even go to bars, yet it was *so* important to them that the bars become smoke-free. All I can say to them is FUCK YOU -- if you don't like it, then go drink at a bar that's smoke-free by choice...And if you think the bartenders are that concerned about their health, they wouldn't work in a smokey bar! I read somewhere that in order to be exposed to enough secondhand smoke to cause damage, you'd have to be in a crowded, smokey bar every night for 50 years or something similar to that. UGHHH -- anyway, I'm done venting about it now. One benefit of having to go outside to smoke is that you stand/sit there with the other smokers and bullshit - so you meet people. But still - I can just imagine having to grab my coat and go out in 20-below weather in January just to smoke. That will be fun. And, no - I'm not quitting -- I'm gonna smoke all over town just to spite the do-gooders who brought this law in to effect (in an effort to get people to quit smoking). And I'll blow it right in your windsuit-wearing, suburban-dwelling, minivan-driving, Babies 'R Us-shopping, boring ass, ugly face, bitch! Okay - there, I'm done. Feel better.

Then to top it all off, there were three cutish guys sitting at the next table over. They were clearly there using fake ID's, or else freshly 21. One of them needed to get past me and called me sir....

SIR??? I'm 27, thanks. I said, "Excuse me?? I'm not sir. I'm already feisty enough by having to go out on the patio to smoke -- I'm liable to become Kennedy on you..." He didn't get it. Stupid kid. I would have referenced Chappaquiddick and being trapped in a car, but he looked too dense to be familiar with that whole Kennedy fiasco. Poor Mary Jo Kopechne...

Anyway, I'd just like to end by saying: KHARMA -- get away from me!! I didn't even do anything to you!!


"Call me sir again and you'll see what you get..."

4 Comments:

  • There is a proposal in the works for my city to go smoke free. Personally, I would love it, but I am not a smoker. I would love to go home at night and not smell like I spent the evening swimming in an ash tray. I would love to go to my neighborhood bar, have dinner, drink some beer and watch hoops without having my appetite ruined by a near by smoker. I understand that it is my choice to go to the bar in the first place, so I should just have to buck up and face the smoke, but since we don't have any smoke free bars in my vicinity I don't really have a choice.

    By Blogger The Unprocessed Project, at 4:10 PM  

  • I live in NYC, and when I moved here (its all smoke free) I thought it would be a big deal - but now I rarely crave a cigarette at the bar - and it gives me a reason to meet cuties outside.

    Funny thing - I worked in bars for the past 2 years in WI and MN - and then I came here for about 4 or 5 months - I went home to the bars there and I didn't like it anymore all smoky...

    And when I got home, I would cough....

    Strange.

    By Blogger Meg, at 5:53 PM  

  • I used to work at a bar in CA when they allowed smoking in bars. It didn't really bother me that much. Now in Portland I have one bar in my neighborhood that allows smoking and one that is smoke-free. That's the one thing about Portland that can be really annoying, they don't want to piss anybody off. They stop charging for street parking downtown at 6pm. You'd think that's when they would make the most money. But whatever. I don't pay sales tax, I shouldn't complain.

    By Blogger ab, at 5:58 PM  

  • I am not a smoker but I used to smoke when out and about in my bar-going days. Now when I go in a smoke-free place, it seems like something is missing! In Ireland they banned smoking in the pubs...when we were there in December, it was really strange like they took some of the atmosphere away. I guess I like when my coat doesn't smell after going out, but sometimes the ban thing seems rather extreme.

    BTW, my aunt found out our family is also Kennedy! LOL LOL I am related to kiddo :) Don't worry, our side of the family is probably the shanty-Irish side.

    By Blogger walktrotcanter, at 6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home