Kiddo78

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Never mix, never worry -- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Today has been pretty slow at work, but there's really nothing going on with me worth posting about.

We did go out for a while last night to celebrate Bill finishing his radiation treatments. He has Hodgkins Lymphoma, so it's very curable. I think he had five weeks of radiation. Doesn't even seem like anything's wrong. Anyway, that was last night.

I just thought of a movie I don't think I've ever mentioned. You must rent "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" starring Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Sandy Dennis and George Segal. Taylor and Dennis won 1966 Oscars for their roles in this film.

Anyway, George (Burton) and Martha (Taylor) are married and he's a professor at a university in a small New England town. Martha's father is the president of that university. Nick (Segal) and Honey (Dennis) are the new young couple in town and he's also a professor. The whole movie takes place at George & Martha's after a party for new faculty, which happened at Martha's father's. It's basically George & Martha drunkenly insulting each other and playing mind games with Nick and Honey, who are also getting increasingly drunk. There's a couple slow, rather boring parts, but there are great one-liners. One of the reasons I love Elizabeth Taylor so much...she is awesome in this movie. Most of my friends have thought it was kind of weird, but if you like dark humor and dramatic women, then you'll enjoy it...It's a classic anyway.

One of my favorite lines is when George offers Honey a drink and she says, "Ohhh...maybe just a little brandy. Never mix, never worry." Then George says, "Mmmmm....Martha, more rubbing alcohol??" To which she replies, "Surrre! You know me, never mix, never worry!!" Funny stuff...

5 Comments:

  • I had the best time watching Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. We (me and Brian, not me and Isaac)decided to try to keep up with Martha's drinking and man was that hard. I love the part when they go to the bar - I just love seeing Liz dance. She's so good in this film.

    Now Kathleen Turner is starring in this on Broadway! I might try to get tickets...

    I'm glad to hear that Bill's radiation and treatment went so well. That is a great reason to celebrate! Our best friend (the one whose wedding we are going to in China) had Hodgins in college, where he and Isaac were roommates for 4 years.

    By Blogger Christine, at 8:16 PM  

  • I love this play, too. Not too crazy about the movie. I saw a wonderful production in Chicago several months ago with some local actors. And as Christine said, there is a revival with Kathleen Turner and Bill Erwin. They are getting RAVE reviews - particularly Turner. You can see a video about this production here:

    http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Video.aspx?ci=508764

    :-)

    By Blogger Bob, at 8:25 AM  

  • Thanks for the video link - if only my speakers worked. I think I need to reinstall a sound card, but I'm not sure how.

    Anyway, I saw this play at Minneapolis's Guthrie Theatre a few years ago with Mercedes Ruehl and Patrick Stewart. I like the play a little better too, but nobody can do the role like Elizabeth...

    By Blogger Kiddo78, at 10:14 AM  

  • I really need to see this and Yay!!!for the end of Bill's radiation.I remember how happy we all were after a round of my dad's chemo.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:11 AM  

  • misplaced exclamation points...yikes I need a punctuation refresher course

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home