Kiddo78

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Princess Diana - 8 years already??

Princess Diana :: 1961-1997

Yesterday (Aug. 31) marked the eighth anniversary of Princess Diana's death. Strange that it's been nearly ten years already.

I remember that day, Aug. 31, 1997. I had just moved back to Winona the day before to begin my sophomore year at Winona State University. I rented a small house with friends Matt, Aaron and Scott (the same Scott who recently got married and crushed my dreams). We had partied pretty hard the night before to celebrate being back at school and I slept until about 2:00, I think. Anyway, my roommate didn't even tell me. I came out to the living room full of horrid furniture (we even had a leg lamp like the one on "A Christmas Story"), sat down and saw a picture of Diana with "1961-1997" underneath it on TV, then Dan Rather came back on to keep reporting about her death. I yelled, "what the fuck?? Princess Diana *died*?!?!" Matt said, "Yeah - fuckin' weird, huh?" It was a shock.

When I went to England (and Scotland) in 1999, I stayed at a hostel right by Kensington Palace, where Diana lived and where everyone put flowers. People were still putting flowers there two years later...

I wish she could have become Queen - better than that Camilla, anyway!

Oh well. What about you? Where were you when you found out she died? Poor Princess Diana...


3 Comments:

  • Hey Kiddo

    Yep, it's been ten years since Princess Di died. I don't remember where I was when I found out, I do remember a term paper I wrote on her in high school, though.

    What I am amazed about is, how time flies. A few days ago, it was 25 years since Solidarnosc started in Poland, which lead to the fall of the Eastern Block.

    And in a few days, it will be six months since I got hired, which means my contract will be ending (and I did not agree on renewing it) and I'll be free again... :)

    The thing with time is, somethings you wish could go on forever, while other,s you can't wait till they're through. It's not logic, that you want to speed up the course of time, in the same time as you just want to freeze a moment. But as M Minsky said, "Logic doesn't apply to the real world", and right it is.

    Now I'll be trying to get through this day without jamming a pen into my eye, or seriously wound another person, then I'm having a very nice weekend to look forward to.

    Take care

    By Blogger Dizzie, at 12:53 AM  

  • I remember it was my senior year in college & I was camping with my roommates up in Humbolt, CA. We drove back to San Francisco & saw what had happened to Diana. I agree, she would have been a much better queen than Camilla. I always thought she was so glamorous.

    By Blogger ab, at 10:50 AM  

  • It has only been 8 years, it seems so long ago to me. August 1997 was the month that I finally made plans to divorce "satan" and swear off relationships forever. Wow my life has changed ten-fold since then.

    I remember being glued to the TV. I even called in sick to work the next day so I could stay home and watch the coverage.

    By Blogger Angela, at 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home