Kiddo78

Friday, August 12, 2005

Kissing Nurse from VJ Day - She's still alive

Remember this picture?



This picture was taken in Times Square as Japan's surrender in World War II was announced, Aug. 14, 1945 - VJ Day - 60 years ago this weekend.

The nurse is Edith Shain, who was 27 at the time, and she's still alive! A statue was placed in Times Square and she was there from California for its unveiling.


Edith Shain poses by her statue - isn't she cute??

The sailor has never been identified, but she claims it's a man in Texas, one of many who've called her claiming to be the sailor. She says his was the most convincing story - and he's still alive too.

So many people don't recognize the importance of this war and what (mostly young) people sacrificed for this country and the world. But then you see these two people were there and are still alive -- they're my grandparents' age -- to be reminded that it wasn't really that long ago. We should still know what happened and be grateful to them. You can tell by the picture how happy people were that the war was over -- and we won.

Much different than the life of a 27 year old now. I'd like to say thanks to Edith, that sailor and all the other people from that war...I'm glad I'm not speaking German or Japanese now.

4 Comments:

  • that is so cute, she is adoreable!

    By Blogger Matt S., at 4:54 PM  

  • I have that picture framed & on my bedroom wall.

    By Blogger hot babe, at 6:37 PM  

  • This post is awesome... I'm a nostalgic freak and stories like this turn me into a total girl.

    By Blogger PJS, at 1:59 PM  

  • My uncle was drafted at 18, trained for a month, and sent over to Omaha Beach. He never made it.

    My grandmother was pregnant with my mom at the time. They said she stood at the door for months after the war was over, hoping that there had been a mistake and that he would walk up to the door.

    She always kept a large picture of him (in uniform) by her bedside. I never understood the importance of what he died for, until I was much older that is.

    By Blogger Angela, at 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home