Kiddo78

Sunday, August 07, 2005

So long, Queer as Folk


Queer as Folk aired its series finale tonight. Now what am I going to watch on Sunday nights?!

The show had five seasons and was the first to realistically, I think, portray gay people. Other shows always kind of show gays as kind of quirky or silly and totally asexual. There's a lot of criticism that Queer as Folk all about sex and partying...really, they do focus on other issues most of the time. Besides, the gay culture *does* party a lot anyway - and a lot of guys are pretty sexually active - so big deal. One thing I noticed, though, is that they make gay Pittsburgh look as if there aren't any people of color there...

Anyway - it's been a cool show to watch. I was shocked the first time I saw it - when it premiered in December 2000, my boyfriend and I were like, "holy shit -- there's two guys going at it on Showtime!" I'm glad that it shows that guys over 23 are still good looking too.

A new show premiered right after Queer as Folk ended. It's called Weeds and it was really funny. I like Mary Louise Parker and Elizabeth Perkins. Lauged out loud a couple times, so if you have Showtime, I suggest becoming addicted to this show. Mary Louise Parker's character is a suburban Mom/pot dealer. Elizabeth Perkins is the neighborhood gossip. Good stuff...In one scene, a mean kid was chasing Mary Louise's son and she tripped him. She said, "Kevin, honey, you should really watch where you're going..." I laughed. The misfortune of bratty kids is always good for a laugh in my house.

6 Comments:

  • I heard about the Weeds show but I don't have Showtime. I totally want to see it. Guess I'll wait until it comes out on DVD.

    By Blogger ab, at 10:15 AM  

  • I don't have Showtime & won't until they offer it to me for free. Oh well, I have no time for a new TV show to be addicted to anyway.

    By Blogger hot babe, at 11:17 AM  

  • Uggh. Don't be mad that I hated QAF. I's not a hater, I swear! I just didn't like it... AT ALL.

    QAF seemed like a tourist's idea of what gay life is, in the same way that Sex and the City is the tourist's idea of what it must be like to live in NYC. LOL!

    Yeah, some of the guys were hot, some of the "issues" of being gay were addressed (albeit in the most contrived and ridulous of ways while trying to act like it was serious), and the comical, one-dimensional and steretypical characters could elicit a few laughs here and there, but in the end, this show irritated me more than anything.

    QAF seemed to be more interested in catereing more to the fantasy of a gay teenage boy in a small town than to the representation of a valid culture, which is fine, but uninteresting.

    Gay life is not as insular as it was presented in QAF; especially in a metropolitan area.

    As for your tv schedule: What are you going to watch on Sundays??? MY GOD, have you seen THE COMEBACK? One of the most brilliant shows ever to air! I love it. There has been nothing like in television history. There is no way to describe the discomfort and hilarity that the show is. Watch for it. LOVE it.

    Troy

    By Blogger CocteauBoy, at 1:45 PM  

  • Troy - Yep, although I liked the show, I agree with you in that it did induce some irritation in me as well. Emmett *always* referring to his boyhood in Hazlehurst, MS, and his Aunt Lou (or whatever). And he got hot guys, who in real life would probably be turned off by his flamboyant ways (a pro football player?!). And what's with Ted getting hot guys at the end? Those guys wouldn't even look at him in real life. Also, Justin was always the victim, which annoyed me. Brian's sudden growing of a heart seemed a little ridiculous to me as well...but, at least they showed a snapshot of people who want to be happy; who want companionship, a good job, a home, a family, etc., and they happen to be gay...

    By Blogger Kiddo78, at 3:08 PM  

  • Oh yeah - and I've seen a few episodes of The Comeback. I agree with you -- she plays the role so well. One minute I feel like I want to strangle her and the next I want to cry for her. Poor Valerie Cherish!

    By Blogger Kiddo78, at 3:28 PM  

  • My bastard roommate cancelled out showtime channels on Saturday, the night before the finale, I was so sad, I have been watching since the beginning, and now I have no idea what the hell happened in the final episode. I was also sad that I missed Weeds, that show looks great, I adore Mary Louise Parker, I think she is such a great actress. I am glad that you got to enjoy!

    By Blogger Matt S., at 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home