Kiddo78

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Sometimes, Dolores, men have accidents...

I just watched Dolores Claiborne on AMC tonight. Hadn't seen it in a few years - love that movie! My favorite is Vera Donovan (played by Judy Parfitt) - she is awesome.

I like when Dolores (Kathy Bates) breaks down in Vera's drawing room and winds up telling her that husband Joe (David Strathairn) took the money and has been "after" Selena. It goes something like this:

Vera (sitting down, picking up her embroidery): Well, are you quite finished?

Dolores: I'm sorry, Mrs. Donovan. Truly, I am...

Vera: Vera. Whenever someone has hysterics in my drawing room, I insist they call me by my Christian name.
*****
Vera: Husbands die every day, Dolores. Why, one is probably dying right now while you sit here weeping. Sometimes, men have accidents. Sometimes, they're driving home from their mistress' apartment and the breaks on their car suddenly give out and they die, leaving their greaving wives all their money. Accidents, Dolores, can be an unhappy woman's best friend.

Later she says to Dolores: Sometimes, you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes, being a bitch is all a woman has to hold on to...

LOVE her! Go git 'em, Vera (and Dolores)!!

The next time some stupid guy puts me off or even pisses me off, I'm just going to declare:
Sometimes, Random Joe, men have accidents. Sometimes, Random Joe, accidents can be an unhappy gay man's best friend.


What a bitch.

5 Comments:

  • I had a minor obsession with that movie when it came out while I was in high school. I think I saw it 3 times in the theatre - the most I have seen any movie in a theatre.

    By Blogger Bob, at 9:16 PM  

  • Yay! I watch this movie EVERY TIME it comes on (and it's been on sort of a lot lately), mostly because of Vera Donovan.

    I savor every second that she's onscreen! Your post here reminded me that I've been intending to rent a marathon of movies with that actress in them, and now, thanks to you, I don't even have to look up her name.

    IMDB.com here I come...

    By Blogger PJS, at 9:32 AM  

  • Must be a gay (and Lynne) thing! Glad to be of assistance, PJS!

    By Blogger Kiddo78, at 10:33 AM  

  • I savor every second that she's onscreen! Your post here reminded me that I've been intending to rent a marathon of movies with that actress in them, and now, thanks to you, I don't even have to look up her name.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:24 PM  

  • Nice post. Thanks for sharing.
    Airbnb clone

    By Anonymous Fiverr clone script, at 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home