Kiddo78

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Looking Back - 2004, A Retrospective

Borrowed from Robert

1. What did you do in 2004 that you’d never done before?
Traveled a lot for work. Got fired.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't have any last year. This year I really want to get rid of the fat on my body. A carving knife may be involved.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Umm...my friend Jill had a baby. But since she only gossips about how much I go out (instead of becoming domesticated like she has done), I wouldn't say we're particularly close.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Nope. I don't think so. But my great aunt Jo did just die today. She was 86.

5. What countries did you visit?
I did not leave the good ol' U.S.A. in 2004.

6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
Stability, money, boyfriend, new car, vacation

7. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Sept. 24, 2004. The day I was canned from a job I really liked and did well at - over politics. December 18, 2004: Going to a bar w/my bro, Mom and 2 sisters - never thought that would happen (will post about it when pics come back)
Oct. 30, 2004: Moved to Minneapolis.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being the number one junior recruiter in the whole company - then getting fired. Another achievement is that I didn't receive any driving/traffic violations! My insurance will be CLEAR in April, I think...for the first time ever, undoubtedly. Oh -- and I paid off two credit cards!! Oh -- and I finally owe the same as my car is worth, instead of being updside down! Yay, me!!

9. What was your biggest failure?
Stopping my gym routine b/c I didn't see a whole lot of results after 2 loyal months

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Hmm...no. Nothing beyond the flu/cold.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Both pairs of my Steve Maddens. My brown '70s-ish leather coat.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My brother Rich - I don't think he drank at all in 2003. Or at least kept it in control - for the first time since the '70s. My blind grandma moved to assisted living and learned how to walk to the dining room all by herself (once she found out they were charging her $150/month to come get her and take her back). My friend Paul for finally proposing to Jess. My friends Mike & Jocelyn for moving back to MN from Atlanta. My friend Stacy for first getting her flight attendant job back and moving to Phoenix - then getting called back to work for NWA.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed/disgusted?
The French -- and people who move here from foreign countries and complain about things here. Get out. (That's about as political as I'll be on here...)

14. Where did most of your money go?
New clothes, for sure. And paying off credit cards. Still a LONG way to go...

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
When Keane thought they wanted me to move to Boston. When Keane said I'd be a traveling recruiter. When I got a new job and was able to move to Minneapolis. When I met a nice guy.

16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
Several songs that are on Drive 105 a lot - can't think of any right now. Oh, that one where he's like "he looks a girl I dated in February of last year" or something like that. Is that The Killers? I'm bad at lyrics. And the Britney Spears song where she's making out w/ the guy in the plane. And the one where she commits suicide in the bathtub. Hey -- when did I become a Britney fan?!?!

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a.) happier of sadder? Happier - MUCH happier b.) fatter or thinner? Same c.) richer or poorer? Richer

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Travel for pleasure -- work out -- boating in La Crosse, Wis.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Wasting energy/emotion on dumb guys, eat

20. How will you be spending New Year's Eve? Downtown Mpls w/ Angela, her sister and friend, and Mandy. Maybe to my bro's for an after-party.

21. Did you fall in love in 2004? Possibly

22. How many one-night stands? Let's not go there...No idea.

23. What was your favorite TV program? Nip/Tuck, Sex and the City, Queer as Folk

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? Yes.

25. What was the best book you read? Angela's Ashes

26. What was your greatest musical discovery? No idea

27. What did you want and get? brown leather vintage-looking coat, my recruiting job back, some random guys, a better apartment

28. What did you want and not get? A new car, more hires, new furniture

29. What was your favorite film of this year? Drama = Monster (even though I think it's from 2003); Comedy = Napoleon Dynamite

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 26 on March 12 and went out in Winona, where I was still living, with friends Tammy, Mike, Paul & Jess

31.What one thing would have made your year measurably more satisfying? There isn't room to discuss - let's just say several things

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004? striped button-down shirts (which I began wearing in '03); western shirts (also continued from '03); V-neck sweaters; plain front pants (continued from '01); jeans w/ flat front dress shoes; scarves (winter)

33. What kept you sane? Friends, paychecks

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I'll have to agree with Robert: Fancy, as in lust after? Probably Chris Meloni (I only recently started watching SVU, and I find mature, well-built, bossy men very hot. probably TMI, right?) I always forget about him when answering these things, but he is ultra-hot.

35. What political issue stirred you the most? Criticizing Bush for the economy when it's improved so much in 2004 -- and I know b/c I'm a recruiter -- if the economy isn't good, then companies aren't hiring -- if the economy's so bad then why did recruiters start getting called back to their jobs?? Yeah - we're busy hiring. The economy has turned around.

36. Who did you miss? My friend Tara.

37. Who was the best new person you met? All the Blog friends, of course! Colleagues at Keane -- and current co-worker, Jeff. He's funny as hell.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004. Don't yell at a hotel clerk - even if he's the dumbest, laziest, biggest jerk on earth - if you're there on business. Out of bad, comes better (getting fired and that led to moving to Mpls)

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "How will you make it on your own? This world is awfully big, girl this time you're all alone. But it's time you started living. It's time you let someone else do some giving! Love is all around, no need to waste it; You can have a town, why don't you take it? You're gonna make it after all ...You're gonna make it after all!" .:: meow ::.

3 Comments:

  • Great list, Kiddo. What exactly did you get fired over? Yelling at some stupid desk clerk? Lame.

    By Blogger Bob, at 5:24 PM  

  • Yep - I did get fired for yelling at the clerk. Probably wouldn't have, but the hotel is a client of Keane's...albeit a client that has virtually no activity. F'ers.

    By Blogger Kiddo78, at 12:10 PM  

  • well...what did you say???

    By Blogger Bob, at 1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home