Kiddo78

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Here's to You, Mrs. Robinson - Anne Bancroft


Anne Bancroft ** 1931-2005

Academy Award Winning Actress Anne Bancroft died of cancer on June 6. She was 73. She won the award for portraying Helen Keller's teacher in 1962's The Miracle Worker. She was probably most well known for seducing the much younger Dustin Hoffman in 1967's The Graduate. Shw was also a well known Broadway actress.

I've seen her in The Miracle Worker, with Patty Duke as Helen. It was awesome when Helen would eat with her hands, have a tantrum and start whipping food at people. I'm *so* going to do that if I ever get to be a crotchety old man. Anyway, then the teacher (Annie Sullivan), who wore some pretty cool shades throughout the film, forced her to use a fork.


Nice teacher

The Graduate is a movie I've seen several times. It's really quite an odd movie. And if you haven't seen it already, be prepared for an onslaught of Simon & Garfunkel, whom I like, but wanted to smash their guitars by the end of this picture. Anne does play her Desperate Housewife role quite well. In fact, she's a bitch, which, of course, results in my immediate approval.


Not to be messed with


The classic still of her leg


Still discontent

I always remember her from Home for the Holidays, when she played Holly Hunter's mother. She was good in that too -- sitting in a closet smoking a cigarette on Thanksgiving with her wig all crooked. Good movie. Good dysfunctional family stuff.


With husband Mel Brooks

Here's to Anne Bancroft.

3 Comments:

  • I cry BUCKETS every time I watch The Miracle Worker. W.A.T.E.R.

    By Blogger Twinkie, at 3:22 PM  

  • Have you seen "'night mother"? I mentioned it on my blog today. If not, please do not pass go, do not collect $200, just rent it immediately.

    -P

    By Blogger PJS, at 5:51 PM  

  • I think Mel Brooks is darling!

    By Blogger The Unprocessed Project, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home