Kiddo78

Friday, February 25, 2005

When it Rains, it Pours

I'm going to my Mom's this weekend, so when Bill called last night to see if I wanted to join him and a couple co-workers at The 19 Bar, I agreed. Ryan didn't get home until almost 10:00 and had a flight to San Diego today, so we just talked on the phone for a while instead of hanging out. I had to laugh at his comment when he called me from the shuttle bus that takes them from terminal to parking. He said, "I'm on the bus...I loathe the bus..." Like Samantha Baker said in Sixteen Candles! HA! Anyway - I didn't get to see Ryan last night, so that was traumatizing. I kind of think that if he really wanted to see me, he would have said "come over - I'm just doing some laundry and going to bed soon..." but that's just me. So, who knows. ANYWAY -- Bill picked me up and we went to The 19 Bar, where his friends/co-workers Dan and Emily met us. Emily also brought her friend Eric, with whom she goes to the University of Minnesota (we Minnesotans call it the U). Of course, now I'm kind of seeing someone, so I'm just out to socialize with friends - not to look for guys. Well, a really cute college-aged guy at the next table kept looking at me. I was trying not to look at him, but whenever I glanced in that direction we made eye contact - so it wasn't a mistake. That kid was checking me out! Then, Eric starts to get drunk and it turns out that he is just coming out and doesn't know any gay guys (aside from his study abroad adventures in Barcelona). He's pretty cute too...and starting to "hint" at me. He kind of looks like an Italian New York boy -- almost seems like he should have a Brooklyn accent (which I tell him). He keeps saying, "I thought you were like 23! 27 is still young!" Thanks. I'm feeling particularly witty this night and enjoy giving him tips about joining gay land -- you know, which bars to stay away from...the types of guys to avoid (since I'm so good at dating)...what happened to me when I was first coming out 100 years ago (okay it was '98-'99)...blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile, cute guy at the other table is still looking at me and so is his cute friend (seriously - this never happens to me, so I hope my surprise at this, hence the blog, don't sound conceited). And Bill and Dan are getting annoyed b/c they think Eric is hot and he's not paying attention to them. Eventually, "you're hot" is offered by Eric and my leg is touched by his under the table. Uh oh. I turn to get my legs out of his way and suggest to Emily that I get a new pitcher of beer. She said, "yes, leave so Bill can talk to Eric..." Fine with me, but god... By last call, cute boys at other table gave up and left and neither Bill nor Dan has succeeded in seducing cute Eric. We leave (still throwing witty banter back & forth) and Eric asks what I'm doing next. Yikes. "Ummm...I gotta go home...I just started seeing that guy I told you about..." He was cutely disappointed. This totally *would* happen to me -- having several cute guys showing interest in one night since the first time in forever. But, I don't want to F things up w/ Ryan, so I was a good boy. I hope it pays off. I loathe the bus.

7 Comments:

  • Another downside of dating straight men, none of them will quote you Sixteen Candles... I love that picture with Joan Cusack too.

    Too funny that you are getting so much attention when you are trying to be good. You don't sound the slightest bit conceited. Hope you have a great weekend at your mom's!

    By Blogger Christine, at 4:28 PM  

  • It should have been Kenneth Cole Reaction cologne, but I forgot to put some on last night, so that can't be it!

    I hear ya, Denverboy...I guess I just wouldn't be too happy if Ryan hooked up w/ someone (even at this early point), so I thought I better not...You are right about only being young once, though. However, that game gets old too (for me).

    By Blogger Kiddo78, at 6:32 PM  

  • Any guy who quotes Sixteen Candles is a keeper! Congrats on keeping your composure under such pressure...have fun w/Mom this weekend!

    By Blogger walktrotcanter, at 8:12 PM  

  • That's just nuts. Next thing you know, that lawyer friend of yours you've had a crush on for 10 years will call you up and tell you he's secretly had a crush on you for the past 10 years...

    By Blogger Bob, at 6:48 AM  

  • I love KC Reaction cologne. Good choice Kiddo. That will reel them in for sure!

    By Blogger The Unprocessed Project, at 10:46 AM  

  • You're such a good boy. And KC Reaction cologne is awesome, I love that stuff on guys (when worn in moderation, of course).

    By Blogger ab, at 12:28 PM  

  • I think a good old fashioned make out session in the bathroom was called for. Oh wait, you just did that...

    By Blogger hot babe, at 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home