Kiddo78

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

This ain't my first time at the rodeo

NEW JOB.....Again.

First day was typical. I felt lost. I ate lunch alone. Then I put up a big sign that said, "People loved me in college." That will draw 'em in, I bet.

Today, the process of how I need to do things was finally explained to me and I got my very own cubicle. It's pale green. Beats gray, I guess. I still have to borrow the extra laptop they have there until they customize one for the type of computer stuff I do (internet recruiting). Oh, and I am only going to work from home once in a while, I decided.

So, after feeling like I had the hang of what they wanted me to do - actually felt pretty productive and studious. I'm sure that feeling will subside. (Always the optimist)

On another note.....I'm so glad that I spent so long at my first consulting firm as ajunior recruiter -- the one that believes you need about 5 years of junior recruiting experience before they'll promote to senior recruiter....the *new* company clearly does not feel that way at all. You see...there's a rather cute young guy who works there in recruiting too - except he's a full recruiter and I'm a junior recruiter (I have nearly 3 years of recruiting experience and 2 years in PR after college). Anyway, he's very young. I discovered that he just graduated from college last spring. And he's in a higher position than I. And he probably makes a bunch more money. He does seem like a nice guy (and he has some kickass pin-stripe pants that I still want), but talk about making me feel like a peon. If he graduated from college in four years, that means he was in high school when I started working in the field. And that means he's climbed the ladder faster than I have. Wow, I'm accomplished. Maybe if I didn't get fired every 10 minutes....(circumstances, circumstances....)

5 Comments:

  • Boy, did that post bring back some memories! I have so been there. You spend a zillion dollars on the college education because they told you "you will never EVER get a job if you don't go to college!", you are in debt up to your petutie as a result, and you end up working FOR people (who very often are idiots to boot!)who seem to have shot up the ladder while you have been scrambling around in the in the muck. It is like you keep missing the elevator. Don't sweat it, kiddo...it will get better if you keep at it and laugh at all of it instead of trying to figure it out. Some people just have it easy straight off the bat. Unfortunately, some of us have to trudge thru the quagmire, cry all the way home from work in frustration (happened more than I want to discuss while taking public transportation), and keep trying until one day you find out you are not defined by your job experience or your career. What???...I'm not a complete peon loser? Nope, you are just building character so when you find the right place, you will be good at it and appreciate it as a result of all the previous crap. As a friend of mine once told me, "My job is a job that is a job." Sooner or later you will land in the *right* place where it is ok to come to work and the money is ok and the people you work with are ok. Believe me, it took me a while but here I am...in my jeans (very casual here) and listening to the internet radio (my boss asked me what site it is so she can listen to it)and blogging periodically so as not to abuse the internet access at a job that isn't too bad at all. I'll get off my soapbox now...sorry, just had to comment because you sounded so much like me a few years ago! BTW, I'm a big fan of your blog if it makes you feel any better. Take care!

    By Blogger walktrotcanter, at 12:28 PM  

  • There used to be this guy (by the way this is kind of off the subject but since you read my blog you get how I am usually all over the place.)anyhow,he used to eat lunch in the nurses office because he had no one to sit with.
    I would pick him up to come eat lunch at our table because I felt so sad for him.

    *Sidenote* a few years after our senior year I read in the paper he was convicted of murder.
    None of this has anything to do with you or you post but it's interesting huh?
    work will get better,You are super witty and full of personality people will be falling all over themselves to eat lunch with you before you know it. That young upper management guy may even turn out to be your sugar daddy:)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:36 PM  

  • Does this new job have the opportunity for advancement - quick advancement?

    So are you from a consulting background or HR, recruiting background, or both? Curious to hear more about your education and work experience.

    By Blogger Bob, at 5:47 PM  

  • Wow - another new poster...I won't be able to find any more time to work if I have so many fellow bloggers to keep up with! I'm glad you found a good place, WalkTrot...Jen, maybe you and I should just be new together and say F'em all!! The ppl here seem cool - will just take a while. Stacy, I guess you being nice to that kid didn't make enough of an impression...that's why I'm always mean! haha Robert - my education has nothing to do w/ my field. Majored in Mass Comm:Public Relations and wound up in a junior recruiting job for an IT consulting firm right out of college. I work for firms that find the people for other firms -- not headhunting. The people I recruit are employees of my company while the client needs their skills. Can be 11 weeks; can be 11 years....It's kinda interesting and good money if you work hard for bonuses. So, I sit here and blog (it's my lunch break at 6:15 pm!)!

    By Blogger Kiddo78, at 6:11 PM  

  • What? Not going to work from home so much? But sitting in your pj's while doing work makes it seem like its not work. I loved working from home. But that only available before I found out how fun blogging is. I guess I wouldn't get much done these days. But my blog would be the best ever.

    By Blogger hot babe, at 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home