Kiddo78

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

1990 - 1991

Once again, VH-1 is featuring comedians and actors commenting on their nostalgic memories of days gone by..."I Love the '90s - Part Deux" is running this week. Watching 1990 and 1991 last night inspired some of my own memories of those years.

I was a very bratty, popular 7th grader during the 1990-1991 school year. I was entitled to...after all, the most popular guy, Scott, who was much more nice, athletic and "developed" than I, was my best friend. This was also my first major crush. (Needs moment to sigh and reflect - gain composure - at the memory of him)

Favorite clothes:
Levis jeans (my Mom wouldn't buy Girbauds for $60) - I had at least two pair (as well as some stonewashed Bugle Boys and probably Union Bay too). We'd wear them "french-rolled" (some people say pegged or tight-rolled) with Nike Airs (Scott had the Air Jordans) or else w/ no socks and boat shoes. We made nooses out of the laces on each side instead of tying them. Very cool look. Sometimes we'd pin our pants, but usually girls did that. Also very popular were Nike wind jackets. I loved mine. It was baby blue and navy blue. I'd wear it with an Air Jordan T-shirt (I had 2 or 3) or Carolina Tarheels T-shirt (one of two that I owned). It was all about Michael Jordan. It was also popular at my school to wear satin jackets - very '80s, I know, but Scott wore one sometimes for some reason. I stole one my older sister wore from her high school basketball days. I scraped off the "ISSA" and went by "MEL". Duh. The surfer hair look was in. We'd try to make one side stand up like a wall with the bangs flowing to other side - even better if the bangs then hung over one eye. I hate to think what I looked like by the end of the school day...

My bedroom:
Posters of Michael Jordan and a 1991 Air Jordan calendar that came in a Wheaties box with all my friends' birthdays written on it. A black, front-loading Magnavox CD player. I was the first to have a CD player in my room...very cool. My favorite CDs were probably Nelson (what was I thinking), C+C Music Factory (ugh)...probably some others, equally as horrible...oh, we really liked the "The Doors" soundtrack too. Playing Truth or Dare once, we made friend Stanley dance alone to "Light My Fire" and that song is about 8 minutes long. He wound up doing some pretty good moves. Very popular was Vanilla Ice and his "Ice Ice, Baby" song. The dance floor was packed when that song came on. I used to tape the "Top 9 at 9" on Rochester's teen station, KROC. Each night, some lucky listener who dialed at the presise moment got to review the list of the first 8 already played and announce the #1 song of the night. Then they'd get to say hi to their friends. I had a big list written out of friends, but never got to read my list...but I listened to the tape on the bus to school & home each day. I distinctly remember "Joyride" by Roxette and "More Than Words" by Extreme. While listening, I'd contrive how I'd manage to sit next to Scott on the way to our basketball or baseball games. Once, the whole busload of 7th & 8th grade boys was singing at the top of our lungs along to Madonna's "Like a Prayer."

Television:
Blossom and Fresh Prince of Bel Air were favorites. I'm sure Golden Girls was still an oldtime favorite on Saturday nights. Other than that, I don't remember much TV. Oh, Doogie Howser was still watched a lot, as was Wonder Years. I probably still enjoyed The Cosby Show and Cheers, too. I remember spending MANY evenings on the phone with Scott or Kevin or Tim. The boys talked on the phone just as much, if not more, than the girls. Man, we were very catty boys. Mean (except Scott wasn't).

GIRLFRIENDS:
Yep, I had some back then. The year started with me dating a (gasp) 6th grader, Michele! We made out at a football game behind the bus barn. Our song was "Unchained Melody" from Ghost. I think we "went out" for a couple weeks. Then I "went out" with Christina B. for one school afternoon. We started going out during lunch and broke up by 7th hour. Bitch. Then Heidi was my girlfriend for about a month or more. She was bestfriends with Scott's girlfriend, Carin. So it was a match made in heaven. She'd put her empty pop can in my locker after b-ball practice and vice-versa (Scott and Carin did the same). Why, I don't know. But we each had a lot of empty Mountain Dew and Sprite cans in our lockers. We never kissed because she was sick during the Valentines dance. My locker was next to Scott's...I had to move mine because our last names weren't even close. I don't know how that happened - you'd think it would be so obvious that I had a crush on him.

So, that's pretty much 7th grade (and 1990-1991) for me. I don't specifically remember going to any movies or I'd talk about those too. I do remember watching "Dances With Wolves" at Scott's house one day. Later we tried to snowboard down the big hill in his yard and, of course, I fell and twisted my knee in about 3 seconds. How I was friends with all the jocks is beyond me...


Not my friends or me, but could be - Net image of someone's 13th bday in 1991 - notice the Bulls on TV


Also not I, but someone's 7th grade picture from 1990-91 - very similar

5 Comments:

  • Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Funny how it doesn't really matter where you grew up, things were pretty much the same. We had the "Hot 9 at 9" on Q-104....and I would also tape it!

    I was in sixth grade in 1990-91 and this was the first year we had boy/girl parties. The girls would all sing "Girl, I'm gonna miss you" by Milli Vanilli when the guys would leave. Except we would change the lyrics to "Boy, I'm gonna miss you" Very cool.

    By Blogger The Unprocessed Project, at 2:25 PM  

  • Chris and I "went" together for like a week in 7th grade.It all fell apart over a dispute over sharing our locker.

    By 8th grade we were both obsessed with New kids on the block.
    The rest is history:)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:34 PM  

  • I was a freshman in high school that year & all I remember is slow dancing & making out with my boyfriend at dances. I have no idea what his name was. Maybe if the later 90s were a little more "pot-free" I would remember his name ;)

    By Blogger ab, at 5:51 PM  

  • Wow - the picture looks exactly like a kid I knew in grade school.

    I was so not cool in grade school. You would have beaten me up if we were in school together, kiddo. Seriously.

    By Blogger Bob, at 7:25 PM  

  • Oh god - I would not have beaten you up, Robert - trust me...I got in two fights in junior high...kinda. One geek kid got mad at me in 7th grade, came up behind me and pushed my head into a music stand. I don't think I did anything about it. Then in 8th grade basketball, I got mad at the really scrawny kid and punched him. About an hour later everyone was trying to get us to fight -- it wound up looking more like we were dancing, I think. Really sad. I stayed home from school the next day and everyone was saying he beat me up...he *so* did not.

    By Blogger Kiddo78, at 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home