Kiddo78

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Glimpses of college days

They say the older you get, the more quickly time goes by. I have started to find that to be true.

As my college years become increasingly distant, I constantly find myself longing to experience that time in life again. A song will come on the radio. The smell of a certain food, cigarette, cologne, store - even air freshener, soap or shampoo - will suddenly take me back to a place in time somewhere between fall 1996 and spring 2000. And for a moment, I'm there again.

Granted, it wasn't that long ago, but life has changed tremendously since then. It's odd that I don't experience the same with high school years, nor for my first years out of college...all-together enjoyable years as well.

A song came on the radio this morning as I hustled about preparing for the day. I don't even remember which song it was. My thoughts suddenly raced back to May 1999...finishing my junior year...enjoying the warm weather outside a crumbling Victorian/college apartment house with a few friends; sitting on a ratty old couch someone's parents had given them; smoking Marlboro Lights; drinking cans of Miller Lite and listening to that pathetic "Yesterday's Hits and Today's Favorites" radio station in Winona.

At that moment, wearing a navy blue American Eagle T-shirt, khaki cargos and fisherman sandals, I remember thinking that we were lucky to be 21, in college and with friends on a beautiful Saturday afternoon...

I suppose someday I will long for it to be 2006 again. Maybe.


A typical Winona college house we would have partied at...

3 Comments:

  • I know exactly what you mean. A certain song, smell or event will trigger a memory of a time that might not have seemed that special but in retrospect was one of the best times of your life. Does make you wonder if there will be a time in the future that you'll look back at today with the same fondness. ; )

    By Blogger potusol, at 2:28 PM  

  • Dude, wait til you get to my age and you trip back 20 years. It's absolutely crazy. Whenever I hear Wham, I'm instantly back in the 8th grade.

    By Blogger VeryApeAZ, at 12:46 AM  

  • hey.. I think I partied at that house once

    -meg

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home