Kiddo78

Monday, January 03, 2005

Scary Pancakes

In one of HotBabe's posts from last week, I concurred that Michael Meyers is very frightening. In fact, I went so far as to declare him "scary pancakes."

I'm not sure what it means or where, exactly, this phrase came from. My sisters have been saying it for as long as I remember...I'll have to ask them and get back to you on this one, HotBabe and DenverBoy...

I laughed hard b/c a friend of mine in high school used to pretend that we were in a scary movie, doing the really stupid "fall down while being chased" and hiding in the most dumb spots ever.

I do have to say, though, that once I really thought I was going to get stabbed by some creepy intruder. In the fall of 1991 or so, I went to visit my friends Carin and Gretchen, who lived a block away and were sisters. Carin was in my grade and Gretchen was 2 years older -- both cute, popular girls. So, Gretchen was home alone and listening to some kind of weird, psychadelic music. We were talking quietly in the den of their nice, early 1900s house. Suddenly there was a rap at the window and we both jumped around - Gretchen also yelped. The next second the same bashing sound was at the back kitchen door. Again, screaming like teenage girls...followed by "what the FUC*?!?!" Then a more gentle knock at the front door. We went to investigate....the front door was open a crack. Gretchen kind of peeked out the door window and all of a sudden let out a brief noise and slumped down to the floor. Petrified, I hadn't a clue what to do...all I could think of was "she's stabbed - hide." No, not "help her" or "call for help"...not run out the back door screaming....just "hide." So, I turned around and darted to the dumbest place possible, UP STAIRS to the bedrooms. I mean, there's no escape from there, except out a window - only to land and break your leg, making you incapable of running from Michael. While frantically darting around searching, I heard her scream "you FUC*ERS!" It was two guys in the grade ahead of me. At least they were cute. But, yeah - after that I could kind of understand the stupidity of teen horror movie victims...after all, I was almost one myself. Now that was scary pancakes.


4 Comments:

  • That’s f*cking hilarious! I love that you actually thought you were going to be killed, but still ran upstairs where there was no escape.

    I also love that we weren’t the only ones to do the run/fall down while being chased thing. Denverboy did it the best.

    By Blogger hot babe, at 5:18 PM  

  • I'm definitely a runner, not a saver. Just an FYI. If you're with me, and we encounter a murderer... see ya.

    By Blogger dan, at 6:46 PM  

  • FYI -- Scary Pancakes. I asked my sisters...one of their friends started saying it a long time ago, so they picked up on it too. I guess it will forever remain a mystery.

    By Blogger Kiddo78, at 6:59 PM  

  • RE: "Scary pancakes"--allow me to put you all out of your misery. Once upon a time, between 1976 and 1984, there was a sketch comedy show out of Canada called "SCTV." This show, which spawned such comedy greats as John Candy, Rick Moranis, and Martin Short, also housed one Joe Flaherty, who occasionally performed a bit called "Monster Chiller Horror Theater" as a horror-host named Count Floyd. A huge part of his bit was trying to make completely NOT scary things scary to his mostly juvenile (and completely bored out of their heads) live audience. One of these movies was called "Dr. Tongue's Evil House of Pancakes." Ergo, he tried to instill the idea of "scary pancakes" to his audience. Hence, the term.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home