Kiddo78

Monday, March 06, 2006

Turning 40 can be fun...

Had a good weekend with the fam-damily. Left work Friday and drove to my Mom's, where my brother was also staying for the night. We had a few cocktails and relaxed. Nothing too exciting. Always nice to just veg at my Mom's some weekends, though!

Got up Saturday and headed to my sister's small town near Madison, Wis., Dodgeville, for her surprise 40th birthday bash at a hotel there, The House on the Rock Inn. She was very surprised - so surprised, that she started drinking wine immediately. I've never seen my sister intoxicated, so it was entertaining! Once all the older family members were done with their coffee and visiting later that evening, 3 of my sisters, 1 brother, 1 bro-in-law, my Mom and I went barhopping in Dodgeville. Tried to find karaoke to no avail. Wound up at this awful place where all the rednecks congregate and we basically stared at the patrons in horror. My bro, who's a year older than I, started to dance with a really bad group of bachelorette party attendees. My sisters were disgusted. I danced to "Mickey" with the sister of honor and showed them I have the Molly Ringwald '80s dance down to a tee.

Then we went to the other hotel bar and did some dancing there too. My Mother was thrilled to discover that I can jitterbug. I never thought I was doing it right, but she confirmed that I was. What did she expect out of the gay son?! At least I'm not a total disappointment!

Always interesting to party with family that doesn't get out much. My sisters basically quit going out when they hit their mid-20s. They must think my brother and I are wild banshees...but, then, we're single and have lots of friends, so completely different lives.

Yesterday we experienced one of the great joys of living in the Midwest during the winter - especially the snowiest month of March. Everywhere from Minneapolis to Chicago got a lot of snow and we were right in the middle of it. Driving. Almost crashed into one sister's van, then some jerk redneck in a big pickup felt the need to pass everyone - his stupid truck threw muddy snow all over everyones' windshields as he flew by and nearly caused all three of our family vehicles to wreck. I simply can't stand for that kind of stupidity. His ugly girlfriend just sat calmly next to him, oblivious to the fact that her dumbass boyfriend was endangering lives just to make sure he made it back to the great metropolis of Westby, Wisconsin, in time to watch his fishing show - or whatever the hell was so important. Jerk face.

Anyway - we made it to my Mom's safely (finally) and the roads back to Minneapolis were fine. Now I'm at work trying not to fall asleep. I detest Mondays.

Who else is 40: Salma Hayek, Matthew Fox, Patrick Dempsey...to name a few. 40 isn't looking too bad these days!

5 Comments:

  • Who else is 40? How could you forget ME?

    By Blogger Angela, at 9:18 PM  

  • 40 is the new 30 or at least that's what I'm telling myself in another year or two. : )

    By Blogger potusol, at 10:55 PM  

  • Yea for 40! I love the Molly Ringwald dance, too...especially to the correct music!

    By Blogger walktrotcanter, at 5:42 AM  

  • I hate the big 4-wheel drive assholes who do that. That's why I'd like to equip my car with a missile launcher.

    By Blogger VeryApeAZ, at 2:18 PM  

  • Of course I remember Ang is 40! More proof that 40 "ain't nothin!"

    By Blogger Kiddo78, at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home