Kiddo78

Friday, March 04, 2005

Uff Da -- it's finally Friday

I called Bill after work last night to see if he wanted to rent a movie -- then he called back and said, "Let's go out instead..." I'm a lush. Oh well - it's winter and there's nothing else to do...We went to The Bolt and didn't really see anyone. Then we went to The 19 Bar and ran in to some people we know - just a regular Thursday night. There was a guy there from Norway who I talked to quite a bit - he was kinda cute. He thought it was hilarious that Norwegian Minnesotans use the term "Uff Da" as a comment for emphasis. Apparently it's kind of a swear word in Norway...? My 100% Norwegian grandma says Uff Da a lot. For instance, if she goes to pick something up and it's heavy, she'll say, "Uff da..." My Dad said it too and it even rubbed off on my Mom, who's not one bit Scandanavian. Anyway -- there was also a guy there last night who was like a Jerry Springer guest - he was missing a tooth and probably about 30. Yeah....cute. He thought it was funny that he looks like gay trailer trash. Uff da.

I'm going out with old, old friend Mandy tonight - not sure where, but she mentioned somewhere in St. Paul -- I haven't been out in St. Paul for years, so that might be kind of fun. We've been friends since she moved to Dodge Center the summer before 6th grade - 1989. She and her sister are the ones who had the party where I got drunk for the first time - at 13 - the fall of 1991. I had a glass of Purple Passion and a beer. My friend Crystal and I were mesmerized by a "Where's Waldo" book they had for some reason. Duh.... Anyway - tomorrow night, I'm going out with my college friend, Jocelyn, for her 27th birthday... Should be a decent weekend.

3 Comments:

  • I know an older lady that has vanity plates that say uff da. Bet she doesn't know her car's swearing at everyone.

    By Blogger hot babe, at 10:27 PM  

  • you peaked my curiosity. According to google:

    It is a perfectly polite expression which may be used in place of various vulgarisms employed to evince displeasure. One wag has observed, "In Norway, Charlie Brown says, "uff da!" instead of "Good grief!."

    By Blogger Bob, at 11:25 PM  

  • Alright...We need a new post!Not all of us have new and budding romances you know:)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home